This book illustrates the author’s passion for the Bible from a young age, having experienced a conversion from Fundamentalism to the Fundamentals of the Bible. The notes for 100 bible studies have resulted from a long journey of reading and rereading the biblical texts with commitment and openness, sharing in conversations and leading bible studies for church groups. They are meant to help the users to move away from ritualist and literalist readings on the one hand and rigorous analysis with scientific tools on the other, and to be reflective with some basic critical questions. The questions for group discussions assist in relating biblical insights to contemporary realities. Readers of the Bible with genuine passion and sustained engagement will be surely equipped to be clearer in understanding the core message of the Bible and effective in communicating the good news.
1. Honey, Lamp, and Sword: Handle with Care!
2. Jesus’ Approach to the Scriptures
3. Human Participation in God’s Creation
4. The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil
5. Sibling Rivalry: Cain and Abel
6. Flood and Rainbow
7. Seeking Self-Glory: Signal of the Tower of Babel
8. Called to be a Blessing – Abraham
9. Distortion and Restoration of Blessing – Jacob
10. Experience of a Liberation Movement
11. Was Moses a Model Leader?
12. The Covenant Code of Law and Commandments
13. The Song of a Woman Warrior
14. Characters of Conscience in a Tale of Terror
15. Was Kingship in Israel God’s Will?
16. King Saul, a Victim of Subversion and Sabotage
17. Was David an Ideal King?
18. The Wisdom and Wickedness of Solomon
19. Prophetic Confrontation of Tyranny – A Hebrew Example
20. God’s Dwelling Place: Changing Perceptions
21. Suffering of the Righteous! – Job
22. Inter-religious Marriage in the Hebrew Scripture
23. Two Women’s Thought-Provoking Songs with Striking Similarity
24. The Significance of the Story of Naomi-Ruth
25. Prophetic Visions for Peace and Reconciliation
26. The Tension between Mercy and Sacrifice
27. True Fasting
28. Voices of Real Wisdom in the Proverbs
29. Early Images and Expectations of Messiah
30. Repenting God and His Unrepentant Servant
31. Gospel from the Margins
32. The Significance of the Genealogies of Jesus
33. The Political Challenge of Jesus’ Birth Narratives
34. Jesus, Continuing with Tradition and Growing with Questions
35. Is there only one Baptism in the New Testament?
36. Handling Scriptures – the Devil and Jesus in the Wilderness
37. Beatitudes in Balance
38. Fulfilling the Law by Revising It
39. The ‘Nazareth Manifesto’ – How to Read it?
40. ‘Lord, teach us to Pray’ – Jesus’ Teaching
41. The Miracles of Jesus
42. Truth-Speaking Demons! Jesus’ Encounter
43. Teaching by Healing: Jesus and a Man born Blind
44. Healing of an Invalid of 38 Years
45. Reconstruction of a Double Miracle
46. Healing Across the Religious Borders
47. Miracles of Raising from the Dead
48. Jesus Calms the Storm
49. The Nature and Significance of Jesus’ Parables
50. The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard
51. The Parable of the Bags of Gold
52. The Parable of the Good Samaritan Plus
53. The Parable of the Shrewd Manager
54. The Parable of the Persistent Widow
55. The Parable of the Tenants
56. The Parable of the Wedding Banquet
57. Jesus’ Position on Paying Tax
58. False Prophets, True Prophets and Disciples
59. Snakes and Doves
60. ‘Not Peace but a Sword’!
61. Signs of the Kingdom
62. The Transfiguration
63. Why Did Jesus Say He Was Not Good?
64. New Status as Children of Abraham
65. Children, the Greatest in the Kingdom of God!
66. Warnings on Religious Hypocrisy
67. Can We Say that Jesus Christ Was the Son of David?
68. Jesus, the Son of Man
69. Jesus, the Son of God
70. Jesus, the Way, the Truth and the Life
71. Jesus, the Bread of Life
72. Extraordinary Faith – Jesus
73. Sensible Evil Spirits!
74. Jesus’ Approach to People of Other Religions
75. Temptation of Power and Washing Disciples’ Feet
76. Different Versions of the Great Commission
77. Ransom or Atonement!
78. The Path Towards the Cross
79. Differing Visions of the Risen Lord
80. Precious Pieces of the Pentecostal Explosion!
81. The Identity and Work of the Spirit
82. No Other Name for Salvation?
83. Was Paul’s Conversion to a New Religion?
84. Paul’s Approach to the Religious Other in Athens
85. Back to the Jewish Roots
86. Missionary Voyage, Troublesome yet Witnessing
87. Christian Leadership Models
88. Law and Laws: A Clarification
89. Solemn and Joyful Feast
90. The Power and Powerlessness of the Cross
91. Select Voices of the Poor
92. Repentance and Forgiveness: The Key for Change
93 ‘Do not Misuse the Lord’s Name!’
94. Changing Facets of Jesus Christ
95. Pointers towards the Trinitarian Vision
96. A Template for Evaluation of the Churches
97. Fear God! The Eternal Gospel
98. Bow Down before the Crucified Power!
99. Visions of Hope: A New Heaven and a New Earth
100. When and How Will the End Come?
The Revd Dr Israel Selvanayagam hails from the southern tip of India. After initial pastoral work in churches, he joined the Tamilnadu Theological Seminary in Madurai for theological education and ministerial training. On completion, based in the same seminary, he was engaged in interreligious dialogue, teaching, lay theological education, and writing and editing theological books, mainly in Tamil. His higher studies were in the area of the Hindu Religious Traditions, and from an interreligious perspective he has approached Christian scripture, theology and mission in a unique way as is evident in his extensive publications. After teaching in several theological colleges both in India and the UK, he is currently a Methodist Minister in the multi-religious city of Leicester.